Actions

  • Title
    Hilda Clark papers
  • Reference
    TEMP MSS 301
  • Date
    1908-1950
  • Scope and Content
    Material consists of correspondence, journal letters, postcards, photographs, lantern slides, official travel documents and unpublished writings relating to Hilda Clark's relief work in France with the Friends War Victim's Relief Committee, subsequent relief work and travels in Europe and the near East.
  • Extent
    3 boxes
  • Level of description
    fonds
  • Existence and location of copies
    Copies of parts of the Hilda Clark papers exist on microfilm, references are MIC 937 - MIC 940. The microfilm contains Hilda Clark's correspondence before it was arranged in the current series. The arrangement is largely chronological irrespective of correspondent.
  • Condition governing access
    Open. Copies of parts of the Hilda Clark papers exist on microfilm, references are MIC 937 - MIC 940. The microfilm contains Hilda Clark's correspondence before it was arranged in the current series. The arrangement is largely chronological irrespective of correspondent. Access to photographs is by permission of the Visual Resources Development Officer.
  • Creator
    • Clark, Hilda, 1881-1955
      Hilda Clark, physician and humanitarian aid worker, was born on 12 January 1881 in Street, Somerset. Clark began her medical training at Birmingham University around 1901 moving to the Royal Free Hospital, London in 1906 to complete her MB BS and graduating in 1908. In 1907 she met Edith M. Pye , beginning a lifetime’s friendship. In 1909 Clark began work at the Birmingham Maternity Hospital. She left in 1910 to create a tuberculosis dispensary in her hometown of Street providing a vaccine treatment for tuberculosis. In 1911 Clark was appointed Tuberculosis Medical Officer to the county of Portsmouth, continuing in this role until 1913. Hilda published the results of her tuberculosis work in The Dispensary Treatment of Pulmonary Tuberculosis in 1914. In 1914 Clark alongside T. Edmund Harvey presented her concern to the 1914 Meeting of Sufferings that the Society of Friends should be involved in relief work with French refugees. Having gained their support Clark and Harvey left for France on 5 November 1914 with a group of pacifist workers. In 1914 Clark established a maternity hospital Châlons-sur-Marne (now Châlons-en-Champagne). Edith M. Pye and Alice Clark both contributed to Clark’s work in France at various times. While in France Clark also helped establish a convalescence home for refugees in Samoens in the Haute Savoie and travelled to Paris once or twice weekly to assist with the medical needs of refugees. In 1918 Clark returned to England owing to poor health. In July 1919 Hilda visited Vienna returning to England to report to the Friends War Victims Relief Committee on conditions. An Austria Committee was established and Hilda carried out relief work there from 1919-1922. In 1921 Clark travelled to the U.S.A. with Pye to raise funds for Austria. Following her work in Vienna Clark was an active member of the British Section of the Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom. She also regularly attended meetings of the League of Nations in Geneva. She made visits to Poland (1922-3), Greece (1923) and Serbia, Bulgaria and Turkey (1924) with Kathleen Courtney on fact finding missions. From 1924 onwards she made visits to the Middle East and Vienna. In the 1930s Clark worked as a public speaker and broadcaster on international issues. She worked for the relief of child refugees from the Spanish Civil War and aided refugees from Nazi Germany and from Austria. In 1940, when her home in London was bombed, she moved to Kent. In 1952 she returned to Street where she died on 24 February 1955. For more information see the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography and the Dictionary of Quaker Biography. Copies of parts of the Hilda Clark papers exist on microfilm, references are MIC 937 - MIC 940. The microfilm contains Hilda Clark's correspondence before it was arranged in the current series. The arrangement is largely chronological irrespective of correspondent.
  • Archival history
    The papers were deposited from Margaret Clark Gillett as recorded in Library Curatorship Minutes in December 1961, which acknowledge the letters to be the property of Margaret Clark Gillett and her descendants. The minutes refer to an 'attached list' which is not extant, so the exact number and contents deposited that year is uncertain. At a meeting in September 2011 the Clark Trustees, the legal representatives of Margaret Clark Gillett's descendants, decided they wished to retain ownership of the papers but that they could be kept at the Library on deposit.
  • Normal location
    NSR2014/5-6
  • Name
  • Subject